I did this project last year for Kari's Halloween blog. I thought I would share it with you toady!
What you will need for this project:
- Large recycled can (I used a bean can....we had chili for dinner that night)
- Various black and white papers (I used vintage wallpaper, scrapbook paper, vintage sheet music, vintage book paper)
- Black crepe paper
- Black garland trim (I used Bethany Lowe)
- Silver tinsel pipe cleaners
- Various black and white ribbons
- Glitter star
- Banner with Halloween phrase
- Adhesive (I used a glue stick)
- Glue gun
1. First gather up all those little scrap pieces of vintage wallpaper, scrapbook paper, sheet music and any other black and white paper you would like to use. You know…. The scraps you can’t bear to throw away, yet keep piling up because you’re not sure what to do with them? Yep….those. Now they have an important purpose!
At this point you can either just tear the paper, or cut them into squares and rectangles and glue down onto the can. I used a glue stick, but you can also use mod podge or you favorite adhesive. Don’t worry about a pattern or being perfect. The beauty of this project is simplicity and randomness. Just have fun with it. Keep gluing all your pieces until you have covered the can completely........
At this point, it’s time to paint. Water down some white paint and go around the top and bottom edges...
Then do a wash of paint on the rest of the can.
Next up, glue the black tinsel around the top of the can.
I decided at the last minute to line the inside of the can with some vintage sheet music. If you decide to skip this step, just make sure to paint the inside of your can with some gesso or primer. Cut the sheet to the dimension of the can and place inside. Don’t glue at this point because we are going to tuck the silver tinsel handle in between the paper and the can later.
Next, grab two pieces of crepe paper. On the first piece (this will be your ruffle for the bottom of the can), sew a basting stitch along the the middle of the crepe. On the second piece approximately 27” (this will be your rosette) sew along the edge.
Pull one end of the thread and gather the crepe paper. If you don’t have a sewing machine you can always gather and glue the crepe paper down to the bottom of the can. For the rosette, just sew a basting stitch and gather.
With a glue gun, glue the crepe paper down following the circles of the can. It you want a little crepe showing, glue closer in the middle......more, glue closer to the edge.
Next gather your star, tinsel and trim pieces and glue to the can.
With the other piece of silver pipe cleaner, tuck in between the sheet music and can. Put some hot glue in the space and press down to hold.
Print out a phrase on the computer you would like to use. Trim to size and ink the edges with a gold ink pad.
Although I show black glitter here, I ended up inking some black ink on the edges and then used a clear white glitter around the edges of the banner.
Lastly, tie some ribbons on the side of the handle and a little piece of tulle if you like.
Ta Da! Your black and white tin is now ready to hold some Halloween candy..... but only the good stuff..... like chocolates. Enjoy!